Date: 8th March 2011
Charlie Sheen has been fired from the hit US sitcom Two and a Half Men by Warner Bros Television.
The studio said it had acted after "careful consideration". The news comes amid a frenzy of US media reports on Sheen's controversial personal life.
No decision has been made on the future of the television series, a spokesman for Warner Bros said on Monday.
Sheen, the highest paid actor on US television, has also appeared in films including Wall Street and Platoon.
Production on the current season of the CBS comedy had initially been shut down following controversial remarks made by Sheen about show creator Chuck Lorre. The actor has since given a number of television interviews blasting Lorre and other executives and threatening to sue Warner Bros and CBS.
The sitcom is the most popular series on the CBS television network.
"After careful consideration, Warner Bros Television has terminated Charlie Sheen's services on Two and a Half Men effective immediately," Warner Bros said in a statement.
When asked by the Associated Press news agency if he would sue, Sheen replied via text message with the word "big". He added his next move would be a "big one".
It is not yet clear whether the show will continue in Sheen's absence. CBS has so far declined to comment.
Source: Press Release