Date: 25th August 2000
The boy who would be Harry met the British press Wednesday at a news conference befitting a royal pretender.
The London Daily Telegraph reported that 11-year-old Daniel Radcliffe, who landed the title role in the forthcoming Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, was handled "with unusual gentleness for a Hollywood studio" as aides deflected "questions about how much he was being paid and saying that, because of his age, they were anxious for him to be given a light interrogation."
However, the London Times reported that Radcliffe spoke "with the confidence of a seasoned Hollywood star who has seen it all before." The young actor told reporters that "I cried and I was just really excited" when he heard that he had been selected for the role.
Director Chris Columbus, who sat next to him at the news conference, said that he intends to shoot two versions of the film -- one aimed at the U.S. audience, the other, at the British -- and to release the film in Britain under the original title, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Source: Studio Briefing